“I chose gastroenterology because it is one of the few medical subspecialties that provide the opportunity to treat complex patients as well as perform highly technical procedures, which I find to be personally challenging and rewarding. I enjoy being able to improve the quality of life for patients with debilitating conditions as well as being able to offer minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic alternatives to surgery.
“My approach to patient care is collaborative. I believe it is important to actively engage patients in order to choose the most appropriate treatment plan, while working closely with primary-care physicians, surgeons and other members of the healthcare team to ensure the best care.
“I believe in taking time to listen to patients, then clearly present diagnostic and treatment options based on my medical knowledge and expertise, while respecting the patient’s wishes. My goal is to help patients achieve the best possible outcomes.”
In his free time, Dr. Batista enjoys outdoor activities with his family, which is why he considers Utah such a great place to live. He has been a runner most of his life and has completed eight marathons. He enjoys skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, fly-fishing and scuba diving.
- Medical Education: University of Panama School of Medicine
- Residency: The Cleveland Clinic, Florida
- Gastroenterology Fellowship: University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Advanced Therapeutic Fellowship: St. Luke’s Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI
- Research Fellowship: Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic, Florida
- Board-Certified: Gastroenterology
- Special Interests: Therapeutic Endoscopy, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Pancreas and Liver Diseases, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Colon Cancer Prevention, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
- Hospital Affiliations: Intermountain Medical Center, Mountain West Endoscopy Center, Lakeview Hospital