Diagnosis and treatment with ERCP
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a procedure that is a combination of endoscopy and fluoroscopy (X-ray). ERCP enables doctors at Utah Gastroenterology to diagnose and treat conditions of the pancreas, liver or bile ducts.
The most common conditions for which ERCP is performed for diagnosis or treatment are :
- To diagnose persistent abdominal pain or jaundice
- Find gallstones or diseases of the liver, bile ducts or pancreas
- Remove gallstones from the common bile duct if they are causing a problem such as blockage (obstruction), inflammation or infection of the common bile duct (cholangitis) or pancreatitis.
- Open a narrowed bile duct or insert a drain
- Get a tissue sample for further testing (biopsy)
- Measure the pressure inside the bile ducts (manometry)
ERCP is commonly performed as an outpatient procedure that may occasionally require hospitalization, depending on the individual case. During ERCP, you will be positioned on your stomach, and an endoscope (which is a thin, flexible tube) is passed through your mouth, esophagus and stomach into the duodenum (first part of the small intestine). After getting a view of the common opening to the ducts from the liver and pancreas, called the major duodenal papilla, a narrow plastic tube called a catheter is passed through the endoscope and into the ducts, followed by injection of a contrast material (dye) into the pancreatic or biliary ducts and will take X-rays.
The procedure usually lasts about an hour. The endoscope does not interfere with your breathing. Follow all of your doctor’s instructions regarding preparation for the procedure.
At Utah Gastroenterology, you can count on us to help you with the latest procedures. Look to us for highly attentive, personalized care for your GI problem. Give us a call at 801-944-3199 or use our online Request an Appointment form to schedule your preferred consultation time with a gastroenterologist. Our RCP patients come to us from Millcreek, Murray, Sandy, Salt Lake City, Bountiful, Draper, Riverton, St. George, West Jordan and Cottonwood.